Thursday, August 15, 2013

Melanie Hamilton...(Olivia De Havilland)

Gone With The Wind actress, Olivia De Havilland
 
I think most of us have seen this classic film...although I do have opinions on the subject matter of war and slavery....I do hate war, and I hate slavery.
The character played by Olivia was that of Melanie Hamilton....Ashley's wife....and Ashley was Scarlett's Crush....I won't say he was her love, because in the end of the story, Scarlet came to realize that her true love was that of Rhett Butler....so that means Ashley was simply a crush.
I do love the character of Melanie Hamilton...and I have always aspired to be more like her...I share similar personality traits with that of Melanie...and a few of Scarlet's...I suppose we all do. 
Melanie was a lady...and she was soft spoken...understanding...committed....non-judge mental...not ever critical....always loving...and always forgiving....and best of all she was constantly teaching Scarlet how to be this way also...even though Scarlet was a back stabber to Melanie. 
When I disappoint myself in my behavior or choices in life...I think to myself...what would Melanie Hamilton do or say in this situation?....and then it helps me to re-adjust my attitude and my way of thinking.  I can never completely be like Melanie, because I have to much Scarlet inside me, but I will always think of Melanie and strive to be more like her.
I read an article while researching this information...and it said the character of Melanie portrayed by Olivia was actually very similar to her own personality....I suppose that's how she was able to do such a great job in the film.   I read that she is still alive today, and 97 years old....she is the last living character of the leading actors in this film.  God has blessed her with a long life...probably because she was such an angel.  I would like to meet her in real life...that would be amazing.
   


 



 
 
"You're afraid of what will happen if the war comes. But we don't have to be afraid for us. No war can come to our world, Ashley. No matter what comes I will love you until the day I die."

Olivia de Havilland
Olivia de HavillandAKA Olivia Mary de HavillandBorn: 1-Jul-1916
Birthplace: Tokyo, Japan
Gender: Female
Race or Ethnicity: White
Sexual orientation: Straight
Occupation: ActorNationality: United States
Executive summary: Gone With the WindOlivia de Havilland is the last surviving principal cast member from Gone With the Wind. She played Melanie, the sweet southern belle with a backbone of steel, and de Havilland is reportedly very much like the character she portrayed. De Havilland won two Oscars, for To Each His Own, a 1946 drama in which her character became pregnant out of wedlock, and three years later as The Heiress, in which Montgomery Clift might be pursuing her only for her money. She was also nominated for Hold Back the Dawn, in which Romanian Charles Boyer might be pursuing her to marry his way to US citizenship, for The Snake Pit, where her character was committed to an insane asylum, as well as for Gone With the Wind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment